Re: [IP] Occlusion Alarms

In a message dated 3/11/2002 9:45:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> a proven Rapid Occlusion Detection system of less than 1 to 2 units
> non-delivered.  You can
> set it for a 1 or 2 unit non delivered setting.  I beleive this because I
> have had 6 occlusion alarms in the past year and when I pulled the infusion
> set it was bent, but my
> blood sugars were not above 160!!! To me this pump has a proven occlusion
> system.
> An occlusion alarm of after 3 units can mean DKA for some of us.

Animas is supposed to have the lowest occulsion alarm.  But when I wrote to
them the "official" reply is that they could not give me an occulsion
threshold in units of insulin because they did not measure in those terms.

The Paradigm manual comes right out and says "up to 3.0 units of "missed"
insuln are required to trigger the occlusion alarm."   The Minimed 508 is 7.2
units according to Minimeds Clinical Support staff.

If Animas had actually come out and told me that they had a "1" unit
occulsion alarm, I would definitely have picked the Animas, but they
themselves said it wasn't so.