[IP] Re: any results from fast abs??/answer re: fast abs

The ab machines work just like TENS and EMS units,
which are used for a variety of things (including but
not limited to making the muscles contract, to prevent
atrophy). I've heard they work best when used in
conjunction with aerobic exercise (not at the same
time, but in addition to it.) This is necessary
because, while these machines will contract and tone
the muscles, they don't do anything to the overlying
fat pad. So, while the muscles may actually be
improving underneath, the outward appearance may not
show much change (you would have to do other things to
burn that fat, such as aerobic exercise at a
fat-burning intensity). According to the article Susan
mentioned earlier, all they did was use the ab machines
by themselves. It would be interesting to see the
results of a study using these machines with some sort
of exercise routine.

I'm sure they do help speed things along to some degree
(since they can cause more muscle contractions than you
can do in a given amount of time, and the contractions
are burning off energy) but if "washboard" is what
you're after, the gym might be a better bet. :)

Take care, Kerri - whose abs look more like a speed
bump than a washboard after 8 kids LOL (working on
mom of Shannon-11, dxT1 5.3yrs, pumping 2.3yrs, and 7
other blessings
~*~do-`da-ga-g`hv-i (until we meet again)~*~

Susan said:
There was an item on our local news channel, on Feb
26th, that indicated a study at the University of
Wisconsin proved that  Fast Abs and similar machines do
not work.

Kathy B. said:
however, if you read the directions, this is no magic
wand type of thing. you are supposed to be following a
diet for healthy eating (they give you examples) and do
aerobics at least 3x a week to get that svelt look!!!
Just using the fast abs isn't going to cut the
mustard!  Sorry :(