[IP] I'd like to be outraged for a moment.

I am 52 and have had diabetes for 47 of those years. I was in the hospital for a heart attack in early December 2001. My cardiologist has great faith in my ability and has
instructed the nurses that I am to measure my own blood sugar with my meter and adjust insulin accordingly. This has happened the last 3 times I have been in the
hospital. I go to the hospital (when I can plan the trip) with my BG meter and insulin pump supplies. I expect to control my own diabetes in the hospital and let the doctors
and nurses know that.

I have learned to be insistant from past experience. I had an experience similar to your mother's in 1985. I was in the hospital and they wanted me to eat lunch without an
insulin injection. I refused the meal until they measured my blood sugar and were ready to give me the insulin I needed. Needless to say, my blood sugar was in the high

It has taken a long time to learn to be insistant enough with the doctors and nurses on this issue. However, I would think that if the medical staff felt I was not able to
control the diabetes because I was unconcious or because they felt my blood sugar was too low, then they might take matters into their own hands until they felt me