[IP] Outrage Thread

Many of the responses have suggested what you can do to help a specific
patient ( mother, friend).  If you still want to do more, contact the Joint
Commision Accrediting Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO.org).  In most states,
this is the organization that gives the OK for Healthcare Facilities to
operate and RECEIVE medicare /  medicaid funds.  Without JCAHO accreditation,
most facilities would have serious problems.  JCAHO surveys sites every three
years but keeps an open file on reported problems.  Certain problems are
called Sentinal Events which could trigger an immediate survey.( which very
few hospitals would be comfortable receiving).  Send a letter ( or email)
describing in detail what happened (times, unit, names etc.) and copy your
state Hospital Assocation and your state department of Health (Here in NJ it
is NJHA and NJ Department of Health and Senior Services & both have web sites
- your names might vary) - provide a contact name, address & telephone number
on all this information so they can get back to you for further details.
Having been on both ends of  a report such as what you describe, I was very
pleased at how my incident was addressed. (Same day surgery - full
anesthetic- pumping glucose in with no insulin- I'm not 'recovering'  well,
communicate the problem to the recovery room, and was told - "we close at
six, contact your Dr when you get home." - That situation doesn't occur in
that facility any more,)