[IP] I'd like to be outraged for a moment

I'm the pumper, but my Mom has been type I for slightly over 40 years.  Always been labile (something she passed on to me), otherwise doing well, just the long-term complications showing up over time (nerve damage mostly, no harm showing to eyes or kidneys).  Tends to seizure if she doesn't catch the low early enough.

Which she did on Tuesday -- can remember starting to get lunch, is next aware of about 5.  Once Dad came home, she was still having trouble with words/ sentences, much longer than her usual recovery time, so they go to the ER where aphasia is confirmed and they start working on the notion she had a small stroke with the seizure; testing to be done on Wednesday.

Thursday she was to have a cardiac catherization to check for heart damage (the guy covering for her regular doctor has a hobby horse he rides that she is having small heart attacks -- which no one else sees).  In any case, nothing by mouth before the testing, so she goes without breakfast and they won't give her insulin because she can't have food.  She's on R and NPH, having had her last shot of NPH at 10 on Wednesday night.  Noontime she can feel she has no insulin working, begs them, as they take her to the other hospital for the testing, just to give her a few units of R.  No doing.

Comes back from the cardiac test -- she's missed the lab tech rounds for blood testing --she's still begging for some form of insulin.  4:30 p.m. they test and she's topping out the meter that only reads up to 500.  They give her a whopping dose (she doesn't know how much), an hour later they check her again and she hasn't come down much so they whump her again with another big dose.  And finally feed her.

Around 5-6 Friday morning she seizures at a 21.

Admittedly, growing up with her I know a fair bit about how insulin works in the body, so I may be an unfair judge, but even my boyfried who's only been hanging around me since October can see the errors being made as the story is told.  *He* knows the difference between basal and food dosing and that you don't do a correction dose based on too short a time period.

Um.  I guess the point of my story is don't trust medical staff to know what they're doing.  Be prepared to push.  I want to know how we keep this from happening to her again (or me for that matter).  Anyone had any luck with insisting to a hospital that the person with the diabetes (or their designate) will determine the insulin doseage and schedule?

Okay.  What needs doing?