Re: [IP] Switch from D to MM

I did indeed decided to switch from D to MM in October 2000.  I got my MM
pump in November 2000.  I had continuous problems with the D H-Tron v100 pump
to the point that I had ~6 pumps in less than 4 years.  The first pump I had
got the Error 07 (I believe) and it could not be fixed.  This happened 2
weeks into pumping.  The spare pump that came with it, when I took it out it
wouldn't even start up.  So they had to replace both pumps within the first 2
weeks of pumping.

Throughout my less than 4 years under my D warranty, I had continuos problems
with D customer service.  They did not believe me that my pumps could
possible have that many problems.  I was passed on to supervisors before they
would even authorize a new pump to replace the failed one.

I never was contacted by anyone at D even though I requested to be contacted
by the regional manager many times.  The only contact that I got was last
fall, when the rep called my Mother's house (never mind that I had changed my
address with them several months before) and left the message with my Mom
that 'It was time for me to upgrade my pump."  Mom told him that I was now on
a MM and she offered my phone number so he could contact me at my house.  He
stated "When did she switch and why?"  My Mom replied to him "If you had
returned her many calls in the past, perhaps she would still be your
customer."  She again offered my current phone number.  He simply stated
"Never mind that's not necessary," and hung up the phone on my Mother.  I
will never wear a D pump again, even if they offered it for free.  I'd still
LOVE to talk to that rude rep.

Like many others on this list, I have had not a single alarm on MM 508.  No
problems with their customer service in the 1.5 years since I have switched.
I would never had been a pump trainer with D.  I enjoy training other pumpers
on their MM pump.

I was not given a choice as to which pump to originally wear.  My physician
never even told me that there was another company.  I found some things out
about that former physician and his relationship with D and am appalled.  (I
will not state what I found out as the physician is the type that would
probably take some sort of action.)

Roxanne M. Villanueva RD, LD, CPT
Registered and Licensed Dietitian
2002 ADA 'Call to Congress: Conquer Diabetes' Participant (May 1-3, 2002)
Minimed Certified Insulin Pump Trainer
IDDM X >20 Years, Pumping 1/4/1995
(First with Disetronic and now with MM since 11/00 and much happier!)
"Diabetes is a disease of complications and waiting for them to happen." - -
- Mary Tyler Moore

Please pray for my oldest friend, Sandi Pompili, as she battles Leukemia and
now recovers from a Bone Marrow Transplant on March 6, 2002.  She has a long
road to recovery.