[IP] watching calories vs. carbs

Hi, everyone--I recently saw a dietician about dropping a few pounds and getting smarter
about food choices : - )
She suggested a 1200 calorie diet while adhering to 150
carbohydrates/day. But, I apparently eat carb-dense foods,
because when I eat up to 1200 calories, it ends up being
about 210 carbohydrates, and when I stick to the
150-carbohydrate/day rule, it works out to be about
600 calories! So, I know I stick to watching carbs as far
as figuring out boluses--but as far as weight loss is
concerned, should I pay more attention to sticking
 to calories or carbs?
Thanks! Amy