Re: [IP] CGMS Question

Steve Roche <email @ redacted> wrote:

> The next obvious step (5 years from now?) will be combining a CGMS
> and a pump into one:  the artificial pancreas.

Human trials have been under way in France for the better part of a year.
It's expected that human trials will start in the U.S. by the end of this
year.  So far the results in France have been better than anyone had hoped
for - normal BG ranges for formerly brittle diabetics, regardless of diet
and exercise.

This advance, BTW, is, as I understand it, the primary reason that Medtronic
bought MiniMed, Medtronic being the largest producer of biosensing devices,
pacemakers, etc.  The sensor for the devices in France are placed in the
superior vena cava, and the insulin is delivered by shunt directly into the

Jim Handsfield