Re: [IP] Questions about long-term pump use

-----Original Message-----
From: jspock @shore.net <email @ redacted>

>Good question, and it bring to mind something I have been wondering for the
>past few years.  With some medications, the body builds a tolerance for
>and you keep having to take more and more to get the desired/required
>affect.  A lot like someone with addictive disease, I suppose.

The body does NOT build up a tolerance for insulin the way it does for
addictive drugs. Insulin is a hormone which is necessary for life!

However, sometimes diabetics can develop immunological insulin resistance,
in which their immune system starts manufacturing antibodies which
"deactivate" injected insulin. When that happens, insulin requirements can
go sky-high, into the thousands of units per day. But if you're a Type 1,
you have no other choice but to continue to inject!

Fortunately, this kind of insulin-resistance is rare, and subsides after a
time, at which point, insulin requirements return to normal.

>Could this happen with insulin?  I'll be doing fine on a set dose of
>(be it in basal rates or injected dose) and then all of the sudden it seems
>that it doesn't work any more.  I increase by a few units, and I'm doing
>good again.

This brings to mind a few questions: how long have you been diabetic? How
old are you? Are your hormones changing? Is your weight changing? Has your
exercise routine changed? Have your eating habits changed?

There could be a lot of explanations for increasing insulin need, and it
might be good to review your numbers with a doc or a CDE to see if there
might be an explanation.

Good luck!

Natalie ._c- whose needs vary according to what she eats -- FAT is a