Re: [IP] Questions about long-term pump use

In a message dated 03/04/2002 12:31:43 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Good question, and it bring to mind something I have been wondering for the
> past few years.  With some medications, the body builds a tolerance for
> them
> and you keep having to take more and more to get the desired/required
> affect.  A lot like someone with addictive disease, I suppose.
> Could this happen with insulin?  I'll be doing fine on a set dose of
> insulin
> (be it in basal rates or injected dose) and then all of the sudden it seems
> that it doesn't work any more.  I increase by a few units, and I'm doing
> good again.

I have been taking between 50 to 65 units a day since 1967 -- some days I
just require more or less depending on the food I eat -exercise-and
unexplained reasons--I am now going on 72 years of age -- my experience has
been--------NO ADDITIONAL NEED  for increases in insulin.