[IP] What was the conclusion? High after site change?

Gabe pumped for the last 48 hours and did fantastic!  Highest b.g. in that
time was 109..he had one or two hypos that we corrected; his basals, clearly
need adjusting.

Now, I need help with this; I spoke to the doctor on call and he said to call
the CDE tomorrow.

4p.m.     b.g.     98    1 hour off the pump for shower and site change
5p.m.     b.g.    176    bolused .5 to replace missing basal as I calculated
6:30 pm b.g.     246   bolus 2.5 (this is what I would use with syringe)
7:15 pm b.g.     246

The bolus of .5 did not work and the bolus of 2.5  did not bring b.g. down at
all for 45 minutes.  Lunch was at 2 p.m. and was not high fat or high
protein.  At that point (7:15)  I gave him dinner as he was very hungry.  He
bolused and rose to 269 and then 297 at one hour after dinner and the finally
at 8:30 p.m. dropped to 239.

What did I do wrong?  Did I maybe not replace enough basal? Maybe you need to
replace the basal and correct the high sugar?  That would have been about 1.5
units instead of .5.   I know that the hip site is much slower than the arm
with injections; in the past, injections in the butt area always worked more
slowly.   This kind of scenario, before we decided that we were pumping or
else, would be very discouraging and I would have assumed that the site was
bad.  Maybe I need to leave the old site in and continue to pump until ready
to change to the new site.  But, I thought you could disconnect and just
replace the basal.  I thought it would be nice to shower without the site and
then put a new one.

So please advise.  Obviously, I will call the CDE too...but you all are
really the best source of information.

We do love the pump!!!!  I definitely need to learn to solve these problems
because we are NOT going back to syringes in the near future.

(Gabe and his pump)