Re: [IP] Re: hypo and driving

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 email @ redacted wrote:

> Hi,
> Along with at least a 3.0 gpa to drive a car  my son will also have to demonstrate to me that he will consistantly wear his med alert necklace.  We battle this all the time.  He thinks because he wears his   pump he will be fine.  I have been sharing some of  your  experiences with him.  I am anxious about his driving as all parents are I suppose but the diabetes just adds another level of worry.  Any advise?

>From previous threads -- comments by OUR pumper paramedics.

1) Paramedics and Police do not commonly check for Medical ID Necklaces.
They DO check for bracelets.

You must ingrain in your son's brain that he MUST check within 30 minutes
of driving the care and at least every hour while driving and NOT drive if
bg's are under 100. Carry glucose tabs at all times.