RE: [IP] Re: travel with the pump

I have flown quite a bit since September 11. I have been through security in
Detroit (new terminal and old terminal), Altanta, Dallas, and St Louis. On
my most recent trip, I was pre-selected for security screening which meant
that my bags were dis- assembled at every stage of the game (at security and
again at the gate).
I have only been pumping since January so some of these flights were when I
was still on MDI and carrying a lot of needles. My bags were never stopped
by the x-ray for anything other than the one time they couldn't tell what my
cellphone headset was.
I am carrying xtra pump supplies and needles should I need to resume MDI due
to any unforseen pump failure. I make sure to take all copies of my
prescriptions along with a letter from my endo should I need to explain
anything.
My pump did make the wand beep when I was selected for screening, but even
then, the young man did not question what it was or why a had a tube going
into my tummy. Either the security folks are really well educated, or they
see a lot of this stuff coming through. No one has asked for as much as an
explaination , much less my documentation.
I would say that anyone travelling by air does not need to worry about what
kind of treatment to receive. I would recommend that you are prepared to
provide documentation that would satisfy the security requirements for the
particular airline. This info can either be obtained by calling the airlines
customer service number. I have had good experiences with Delta, Northwest,
American and Continental.