Re: [IP] Re: Gabe and high bg's

In a message dated 3/2/2002 8:27:15 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I GUARANTEE YOU, that I was told that .3 units have to pump through the
>  as basal for it to work correctly.

Oh, Marion. I believe you!  Truly!  I just wonder why anyone at a pump
company, any pump company, is saying anything about where someone's basals
rates should be set at (and where in the heck they came up with .3 when there
are many little kids with MM pumps who use much lower basal rates than that
with no problems is completley beyond me) -- but mostly I wonder why Gabe's
doctor and CDE aren't the ones giving you specific guidance on all of this .
. . This all could be going much more smoothly if your doc was doing his job
(IMO).  It's the pump trainer's job to be teaching about pump operations and
set insertions and things like that -- but it's the doc that should be the
one who is working with you to get Gabe's basals set, carb ratios tested, and
correction factor determined.

If this was some small practice who'd never started anyone on a pump before,
I could maybe understand.  But, from what you've said, this practice has
many, many kids on pumps -- and Dr. Kaufman (I know she's not Gabe's doctor)
is one of the most noted proponents of pumps for kids.  You should be the one
figuring all this out.  The doc should have given you guidelines and then be
reviewing the numbers and then he or Gabe's CDE should be going over the
basal/carb ratio changes (and the reasons behind them) with you . . .

Hang in there!

Pumpmama to Katie