Re: [IP] Re: Gabe and high bg's

In a message dated 3/2/2002 2:10:57 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> When all
>  the Ultralente is out of Gabe's system, I think you need to start
>  first and foremost on figuring out his basal rates.

I have to agree, except that I think Gabe's DOCTOR should be the one working
with them on setting initial basal rates once all the UL is out of his
system.  I have to say that this whole thing seems like the most disorganized
pump start I can imagine --- How can a medical group with "hundred of kids on
pumps" get away with going about pump starts for children in such a haphazard
way, with such poor support and a complete lack of direction???

After a couple days of having you chasing highs with boluses (while you wait
to get rid of all the UL), your doctor ought to have spelled out for you
exactly what testing schedule you should be doing and what type of basal
profile s/he wants you to start with  (why in the world is MM clinical
services telling you what basal rate -- .3 -- to start with anyways?!?!?) --
and then having you faxing numbers on a daily basis for a at least a week and
then contacting you with the changes to make to Gabe's basal profile based on
the data you provide to them . . .

Eventually, you should be able to do basal adjustments and carb ratio
testing, and such on you own -- but for a pump start for a child, your team
should be actively involved in helping establish the initial basals, carb
ratio(s), correction factor, etc. . . . Yes, you had this all worked out for
MDI, but it's likely to be completely different on a pump and they are the
ones who should be helping you get all these things figured out initially . .

Pump starts do not have to be this hard -- and your diabetes team needs to
start doing there part to set you guys up for success as pumpers!

Pumpmama to Katie