[IP] Looking for women with diabetes who have given birth

Dear All:

With the permission of Insulin-Pumpers we are asking for your help.

Writers Tina Farrell and Beverly Morgan (our credentials at end of this
message) are looking for comments from women with diabetes who have had
babies and would like to answer questions about their hospital experience.
Please look over the following and see if you9d like to help us explore this
topic and let others know about your individual experience.

WHEN AND HOW TO RESPOND: If you have comments for us, we must get them in
the next 4 to 5 days to meet our deadline. If you would like to help -

This article is for the national magazine, Diabetes Interview. You will be
identified by name (first and last), city, and state. The article will
appear: possibly April or May 2002 - at the magazine9s discretion. We would
be happy to mail you an issue with the finished story. We appreciate your
help, and more importantly, we know Diabetes Interview readers will benefit.

BREASTFEEDING: How do hospitals promote this important protection from
diabetes for the baby, especially if the mother already has diabetes?

These questions are focused mainly on the breastfeeding initiation that
occurs (or perhaps did not occur) at the baby9s birth. Write as little or as
much as you see fit, if the question applies to your experience. Thanks!

Did you plan to breastfeed, or did you decide early on that you would not?

If you decided not to, why did you make this decision?

Did you plan on breastfeeding but not breastfeed? Why?

Did you collect milk to help to jump-start lactation or as a way to induce
labor? How did that work out for you?

Did you successfully breastfeed? Starting out, what contributed to your

Immediately after the birth, how did the doctors and hospital handle
monitoring your health and the baby9s?

In the hospital, when you delivered, how did your having diabetes affect the
birth and first breastfeeding experience?

What was done to check the health of the baby?

What was done to check your health?

Our research says that "coming in of the milk for mothers with type 1 occurs
about one day later than for mothers without diabetes." Did your doctor or
your literature prepare you for this? Did you find this to be true?

Did you participate in any trial therapies, such as fetal cord blood
studies? Please describe this, or share with us your doctor9s name.

Did you experience any noticeable improvement in your health while
breastfeeding? That is, improvement in your management or lessening of any
Any other comments?

Thank you for your help. We will do our best to get you a copy of the
published article, if you provide us with a mailing address.

Tina Farrell

Tina Farrell. I have been writing professionally since 1984. I have
published many nonfiction articles on a variety of topics, including
diabetes. My articles on diabetes and health topics have been published in
the national magazine Diabetes Interview, the newsletter of the Diabetes
Society of Sonoma County (CA), the Diabetes Dialogue, newsletter of the
Diabetes Society of Santa Clara Valley (CA), the Business Journal of Silicon
Valley (CA), and on the internet. My article about wearing medical ID was
linked to Insulin-Pumpers. I was the editor of the newsletter of the
Diabetes Society of Santa Clara Valley for three years. I have had type 1
diabetes for 10 years and have worn an insulin pump for seven years.

Beverly Morgan has been working in the breastfeeding field since 1973. She
is the author of two audiobooks about breastfeeding: "Breastfeeding9s Number
One Question: How Do I Know My Baby is Getting Enough Milk?9" and "Reading
Your Baby9s Body Language." She has authored many articles related to
breastfeeding in publications as varied as Sacramento9s Parents Monthly (CA)
and Social Marketing Quarterly. She is in private practice in the greater
San Jose, California area and is on the board of the San Jose Mothers Milk

Tina B. Farrell
Writing, Editing, Design