[IP] French Fries and Carbs!

Hi all:  Does anyone else have trouble calculating carbs for french fries??  I
know counts on McDOnalds fries are accurate for us, but when we go out and get
supper at a restaurant I find I have no clue what to count for a plate of
fries? They are thicker than a McD's fry, a reg. old kind of fry...but any
tricks for counting out there?  We are off every time!  And the fat comes back
to haunt us a few hours later, like pizza.  Should I count per fry to get a

Thanks, Shelly