[IP] What I've learned...

     This is for anyone who wants to know about the islet cell transplant...
(Melissa and Chairity :o)~  )
     IF it doesn't take, you do NOT have to continue to take the
anti-rejection drugs. You only have to take them if it works.
     Another thing I thought about is the fact that I'm going to have to have
a kidney transplant some time, unfortunately in the near future and I'll have
to take the anti-rejection drugs then. So, I thought about it and since I'm
going to have to take them anyhow, I decided to pursue this.
     I'll keep you up to date on the process. My doctor just signed the
concent forms and I faxed them to the hospital. Now I just have to wait to
hear from them. They might not even want me. :o*( .   (But how could that be
possible?? LOL)
All my best,
dx 70-01-81 (Florida) type 1
Awaiting the arrival of 'Skippy'...
My new MM 508... also awaiting
the release of the new Paradigm!!!

Transplantation of islet cells
Unlike other types of transplantation, you do not have to have a big surgery
to get new islet cells. The small clusters of cells are infused into a large
vein, into your liver. They are first isolated through a chemical and
mechanical process from the rest of the pancreas. They are put into a syringe
and the surgeon uses ULTRASOUND to put them into place. Ultrasound is a
picture of your internal organs created by sound waves. The surgeon can see
the large vein leading to the liver and put the islets into the correct space
without you actually having surgery. The skin is frozen and a cannula is
inserted into the Portal Vein where the islets are infused. The whole
procedure can take less than an hour.