[IP] Re: hi risk pregnancy

I just wanted to comment about advanced maternal age related to
pregnancies.  Maternal age is related to the chance of having a baby with
a chromosome problem.  All mothers have a chance of having a child with a
chromosome problem (ex: Down syndrome).  This risk increases with age.
At age 35 years the risk of finding a problem with a baby's chromosomes
equals the chance of losing a pregnancy after amniocentesis.  That is how
35 years became the "magical" age.  Medical personal should never
"encourage" a woman to have an amniocentesis.  Having this test is a very
personal decision.  Genetic counseling should be offered to women who
will be 35 years at delivery, so that they can weigh the costs and
benefits to having an amniocentesis.  In my experience diabetic women
often are offered genetic counseling because of the high-risk label, but
amniocentesis is only appropriate in some cases when other factors such
as age or family! history of a genetic condition are present.