Re: [IP] HOw do you prevent over-treating a hypo?

In a message dated 3/24/01 11:38:19 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< So how you prevent overtreating hypos when too hypo to think?   >>

Darrin, the only way I know is to not eat anything but really quick acting
sugar, at least at first.  Try to do it routinely when you are aware, and it
may become automatic when you are really out of it. Glucose tabs have more
than one great advantage at this:  not only do they act really quickly, but
they don't tempt most people to eat too many!  But I have noticed it is
possible for me to even delay the action of glucose if I eat something fatty
with it, so if I am thinking clearly enough to have a really strong
preference for something more appetizing but less quick-acting, I know I have
to not expect to be functioning properly for a while.  I find the best thing
to do if I have the munchies is to take the glucose tabs first, wait at least
10 minutes, then eat what I want, counting the carbs but not bolusing for
them till I am sure I am out of real hypo range. YMMV  The waiting the 10
minutes with just glucose in my system speeds up the process of getting out
of the hypo for me.

Part of your later high (and initial low, too, maybe) might have been from
high fat content in the meal you ate.

Linda Z