[IP] Re: Pump and Grand Canyon

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 06:27:22 -0800, "Jackie Tautz" <email @ redacted>
>We're planning a family trip to the Grand Canyon in June. We'll be hiking
>down and staying at Phantom Ranch overnight. We did it several years ago but
>that was before I had the pump. My main concern is the effect of the heat on
>the insulin.

I have lived in Phoenix for 40 years, and have never been down into
the Grand Canyon because of my concern for the effect of the heat on
the insulin. June probably isn't as bad as July or August but you will
almost certainly have a lot of heat to contend with. And it sounds
like you're talking about 36 hours of continuous exposure to the heat.
Maybe there are some others who have used a pump for a similar trip
and can give you better advise, but I wouldn't risk it.
Tom Beatson
dx 1942, age 68, pumping since 1995