[IP] I need support (and a pump!!)

Crazy sugars and migraines...that is something you should have your doctor
include in your letter of medical necessity!! As well as any other problems
related to swings in your blood sugar.

I just recently got the pump approved for my husband. He is an adult-onset
type 1 also. At first I was led to believe it would be no problem getting it
approved. I was even told that it would most likely be approved. Then, I
started having problems...first 3 months worth of blood sugar records...then
they changed it to 4! Another person where I work at only had to give 3 weeks!
They gave me as much h*ll as possible and then I was told just because he was
a type 1, didn't mean that he needed a pump...and that his blood sugar records
looked pretty good. They included blood sugars from 29 to 300s. Usually, they
stayed under 200...they would stay 180-200 after lunch and until
dinner...about six hours. I was even told that if he needed it so bad, I
should go out and buy it myself!!! If it was approved, they would reimburse me
(yeah right!) They also seemed to think that since he was newly diagnosed, he
didn't need it "bad enough." I guess you have to have complications or have
diabetes for several years before they think you need it.

My insurance is self-funded...the company I work for actually pays the
benefits, but the plan must be administered by a 3rd party provider. I wrote a
long letter to the Benefits department of the company I work for and explained
that my husband has neuropathy from being misdiagnosed for so long. I
mentioned that neuropathy is what leads to amputations. And that diabetes is
the leading cause of amputations in this country. (His neuropathy is not
really that bad and may hopefully disappear after a while....but we really
can't say what will happen. He gets a little tingling at night and also gets
swollen ankles after a day at work. Not good when you have a job that requires
you to be on your feet all day.) I presented the *absolute* worse case
scenario. I also mentioned that my husband has hypo-unawareness and he does
construction work...working with saws and on ladders all day by himself! I
said a low blood sugar will cause him to pass out, have seizures, cause brain
damage, etc. I mentioned that insulin pumps not only prevent high blood sugars
better than injections, but they also prevent dangerously low blood sugars.
And, that scientific studies have clearly shown that maintaining blood sugars
levels at near normal levels greatly decrease the likelihood of complications
such as blindness, amputation, etc.

You need to make sure you mention worst case scenarios. It really scared me
after I finished the letter and read it...I cried...but they are all *real*
possibilities. Likely, they won't happen, but you need to mention them to get
things done.

They probably don't realize some of the things that can really happen. Tell
them how would they like to see you passed out and seizing at work? Do they
want to see this happen? Make sure you have a glucagon kit, bring it to work
and show your co-workers how to administer it. Maybe the fact that you
actually have something like this around in case of an emergency will make
them stop and think.

The next day after receiving my letter, the insurance company called to say
that he was approved.<br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer