Re: [IP] Re: Desperately needing help and support

>Hi everyone.I have not posted in a very long time.We just got an A1C done on
>our son and it is so bad I do not even want to tell you how high it was. I
>thought I could do this pump thing all alone but I guess I can not.I really
>must get the A1C down so I hope if needed I can call on you for help.I have
>started off with basal testing. So far I can see the night basals seem
>really good but we allways have a high reading at lunch and a low in the
>afternoon about 4:00.Any way I just thought I would warn you I may be on
>with lots of questions and your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank
>you!!!               Lori Kissick

"Bad"?  There is no such thing as a "bad" A1C nor "bad bg".  These are just
numbers to be used as tools in establishing as close to normal range
control as possible.

How does your son feel about this test result?  I hope it has been made
clear to him that emotions must not be associated with test numbers.  Very
important for his self-esteem!  (Trust me; I know).

So if the A1C was that high; get it done again to confirm.  Mistakes can be
made.  if the result is similar start at square one.  How old is he?  Are
growth hormones a factor?  Has he been under stress?  What do the daily
stats look like?  Bodies change over time and so do the insulin

MHO:  Retest 24 hour fasting basals for a few weeks and then do the carb
ratios etc.  Sounds as if you know the drill!

I do understand you are frustrated and worried.  That's natural.  More time
and energy yet to devote to this terrible disorder.  Keep at it and use the
list as a support tool!

All my best wishes to you & your son!  BTW:  My best A1C's during my teens
were 15-16!

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 4 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.

To date:   57% improvement in average bg's & 60% fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  First post-pump HeA1C = 5.1  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).