Re: [IP] HMOs, & etc.

I have been through the proverbial 'wringer' with a former HMO plan that I
had through work.  I ended up with a $4,000 hospital bill from when I went
into DKA (the first and hopefully last time!)  They paid every claim until
the hospitalization, then decided that they 'didn't realize that the insulin
that I had been purchasing was being used to treat diabetes.'  There is no
other disease that it is used to treat! I just got that hospital bill paid
off last year...5 years after being hospitalized!

When I am looking for a job, I will not accept a position without first
getting all of the details on healthcare benefits.  If the potential employer
is reputable, they will provide you with this information.  Luckily, my
Mother has worked in the insurance industry for 30 years and can sort out all
of the details for me.  And another lucky thing for me is that I work in the
healthcare industry and we usually have excellent insurance benefits.  The
employers figure that if they can't take care of their employees' health
problems, then how can they expect us to take care of the patients.  The only
bad plan I ever had was that original HMO.  And if the employer offers a
choice of healthcare plans, I will pay more money and not take the HMO.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18+ years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
(First with Disetronic, now with MM 508 and much happier!)
And remember...Diabetics are naturally sweet!
e-mail:    email @ redacted
'Diabetes is a disease of complications waiting for them to happen.' - - -
Mary Tyler Moore