[IP] Re: Local anesthesia for inserting sets-help please

The discussion on this topic led me to think that perhaps someone out there
might know the answer to something that I've been wondering about.

A couple of years ago, I read about a new numbing cream, which studies said
was better and more effective than EMLA cream.  It is called  Ametop Gel (4%
Tetracaine) and is made by Smith and Nephew, Hull U.K.  When we were living
in the UK, the nurses gave me several small tubes to use so that my kids
could have their blood tested for a study they were doing on DNA and
diabetes.  My kids refused to cooperate and Claire didn't need any other
blood drawn from her arm while we lived there, so I never tried the cream on

Back here in Canada, the doctor immediately ordered blood tests and when I
asked about using the Ametop gel, she said yes, use it if you have it, rather
than EMLA, as it constricts the veins less.  My son needed blood tests and I
used it on him and he was quite thrilled as he said he didn't feel a thing.
I used it on Claire for her blood tests and she screamed with pain, I think
the technician was rougher as he thought she was numbed.   I thought maybe
the tube was too old, so I spent $60 buying a new box of 12 small tubes, and
sure enough, these tubes sold in Canada say to store in the refrigerator.  So
we try it again for her next blood draw, and again, it hasn't worked.  Now
she is freaked out by needing more blood tests!!  Because I had promised that
it wouldn't hurt--I should learn never to promise anything that is out of my
total control.

Does anyone know about these products?  Do they just not work on some people?
 I followed all instructions--that wasn't the problem and the cream came with
the OpSite coverings to use.    I think we will now try EMLA for the next
blood draw, which was supposed to be a few weeks ago.  We had used this
several years ago and it did seem to work on Claire then.

I am considering writing to the company to ask them about this as well.  Is
that a useful option?
Barbara, Mum of Claire 6 (very afraid of needles in veins) and hoping to be
pumping soon