Re: [IP] Lows and lack of thought

>Hi all.
>I just wanted to vent a little. I hope you don't mind. I had a low yesterday
>at about 10:00 at work. I work at an insurance agency, 8 to 5. I recognized
>my low, checked my blood, went to eat a snack, and came back to work. Later,
>I realized that the work I did after coming back was ALL WRONG!! I was having
>a bad day anyhow, but suddenly it occurred to me that I am not letting my
>brain recover before I go back to work! I was very frustrated, and of course
>when I came home I just sat and stared at my insulin pump. I am not using it
>yet, but I will be trained on it next week. The SOONER THE BETTER!!! :)
>Anyhow, how long do you wait after a low to go back to normal activities?
>Thanks for your ear.

Depends on the length of time spent below normal range and how low.
Sometimes 15 minuets; sometimes 4 hours.  YMMV!

According to what i've read it takes the brain a minimum of 1 hour to
restore to normal cognitive and emotional functions *after* a hypo has been
corrected and the bg is in normal range.  so even if the meter says you are
in normal range; it doesn't mean your mind is!

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 4 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.

To date:   57% improvement in average bg's & 60% fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  First post-pump HeA1C = 5.1  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).