Re: [IP] disatronic pump problems

>2.  D is most likely reacting in a knee-jerk way as would any repsonsible
>company.  They are as afraid of the silly legal liability problems as
>anyone else in NA.  I would hate to be in their shoes.  i'd be sweating
>bullets that some jerk would deliberatle duplicate this malfunction in the
>hope of a succesful lawsuit!  I see no other way for D to cover their rear
>other than what they are doing - even if it is not their fault but the
>fault of careless users.

>Hey darrin you couldn't be more on target! just like patients, every one of
>which is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen, every pumper is a lawsuit in
>waiting. My younger dau who is a lawyer told me that some firm will make a
>bundle on this by getting the list of D users, writing to each one and asking
>general questions about overdelivery problems. then they will start a class
>action suit  which could ruin even distronics with bad publicity. It happend
>with skeletal hardware and almost ruined sofomore danek Inc. A pump is
>hardware and software both melded to work as flawlessly as possible. but as
>the wise men of the ages say: "fecal material happens" All the pumps out there
>are good there are none that are perfect just as there are no perfect pumpers.

Glad you understand!  I have to admit that I am very disturbed about this
issue as waterpsorts season is now just two months away and now I'll be
paranoid about a water-related pump malfunction - just my nature.

As a note, the old firm I had carried 500,000 people per year and each one
I viewed as a lawsuit just waiting for an excuse!  I spent too much time in
court fighting frivolous lawsuits - some totally fake!  I never lost a case
though!  Legal liability is the first thing to cross my mind now and I
*admire* the pump manufacturers for simply "taking the risk"!

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 4 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.

To date:   57% improvement in average bg's & 60% fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  First post-pump HeA1C = 5.1  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).