[IP] Disetronic H-Tron

I have always tried to avoid (most of the time successfully) getting
involved with discussions surrounding different pumps.  Pumpers are attached
both physically and emotionally to their pumps and references to brands
often put some on the defensive (sometimes by design).  Its a shame that as
a group of pumpers we have to be polarized into
my-pump-is-better-than-your-pump factions.  We ought to rejoice in the
fact that we are all pumping and we are all enjoying superior BG control,
regardless of the pump make.  Recently there have been many comments about
the waterproofness of the Disetronic H-Tron pump.  It strikes me that after
holding a particular brand to be flawless it becomes necessary to justify
that position by minimizing Disetronics announcement to not wear the pump
in water and blaming the company for overreacting.  It has even approached
blaming pumpers for being the source of the problem for not inspecting for
invisible hairline cracks and, indeed, for causing them.  I am sure that the
number of incidences is indeed few, but if a child of one of us was
hospitalized due to a pump malfunction how many of us would not be attacking
Disetronic for not taking action on a known problem.  I commend Disetronic
for putting its pumpers first.  They proved again that they are a quality
company and they still make quality pumps.  There has never been a product
that has not malfunctioned.  As a quality company, Disetronic will resolve
the issue.  In the meantime, I think they would not have taken their action
without just cause and everyone would be better off if they used a bit more
caution.  At least be careful not to lure others into a false sense of
it-cant-happen-to-me attitude.  A child may not survive an infusion of 200
units of insulin within a couple of hours time (it happened).  Again, if
their instructions are heeded, there is no reason to shy away from
Disetronic, which is a great company with a great product.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998