[IP] Re: Thrush

In a message dated 3/20/01 1:26:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Kim,
>      Did the doc tell you why it's common?
> My doctor told me that it is common for
> diabetics to get thrush/yeast infections
> either orally or in the genital area. The reason
> for this is that if a diabetic has high blood
> sugar, yeast feeds on sugar and likes
> warm/moist/wet places.
>        To aliviate some of the pain, my
> doc said on top of the medication, eat some
> yogurt with live cultures in it so it will help
> get rid of the infection.  Also, there is stuff
> that you can 'paint' her mouth with to get rid
> of the infection and I'm not sure how to spell
> it, maybe some of the people on the list will
> know, it's purple in color and is called,
> Gintchur Violet... at least that's what it
> sounds like. :o)
> I hope she feels better soon.
> All my best,
> Elizabeth

Thank you Elizabeth.  Yes she did tell me why diabetics are prone to thrush &
yeast infections.  But, your explanation was much more complete.
I guess this shows another good reason why keeping your blood sugars as close
to normal is important.  No one want's yeast infections.  And they are mostly
just annoying.  Just think of the other bad stuff it is doing to your body.

  Kim...........Mom of Ashley(diabetic for 5 years & not pumping yet)