Re: [IP] Re: Thrush

Barbara,
Diflucan is an anitfungal drug.  The generic name is fluconazole.  It is an
excellent drug for yeast infections of the mouth, throat, and vaginal areas.
As with all medications there are potential problems and interactions.  It
is generally well-tolerated but can cause liver toxicity in rare occasions.
It can also interact with several medications and should not be taken with
some oral hypoglycemics (sorry type IIs), Dilantin (seizure med), Propulsid
(reflux med that is not readily available due to cardiac side effects), and
a few others.  I have used it in all ages with good success.

Yes, yogurts can be of benefit for some people.

Also, anyone taking medications such as an inhaled steroid for asthma should
use a spacer device and rinse the mouth afterwards to reduce the chance of
getting thrush.

Antibiotics also increase the chance of yeast infections.

Steve