Re: [IP] Hope to get pregnant

Hi! Congrats on getting the go ahead!
I think it is a bit scary and overwhelming to begin thinking about
pregnancy whether or not you have diabetes. I'm on my third pregnancy and
every time I've had that positive pregnancy test I had a mix of emotions -
thrilled and elated, but scared to death and wondering if I really knew
what I was doing.
Please feel free to ask any questions and I can share my experiences.

I did NOT see a perinatalogist - just a regular OB-GYN. I do know that when
it came time to deciding exactly when to induce I do know that my OB
consulted with the perinatalogist who was on-call at the hospital at the

One other suggestion in choosing OBs to make sure that your OB and diabetes
doctor both have privileges at a tertiary care hospital that has a state of
the art NICU (neonatal intensive care unit).  Your baby may not have any
problems, but I wanted to be sure that if mine did, expert help was right
there and they wouldn't have to be transferred to a bigger hospital or
anything.  ALso the bigger hospitals tend to have better ultrasound
machines and more experienced ultrasound techs. I had my ultrasounds at the
hospital and felt more certain they would pick up anything that might be
wrong (and that I could trust them when they said everything looked great!)
- betsy

Betsy Polley