Re: [IP] Re: Waterproofness of the H-tron

--On Tuesday, March 20, 2001 2:06 PM -0500 email @ redacted wrote:r
> My question is this:  D said that the red tappets will no longer be for
> sale.  Do you use these to make your pump waterproof when near or in
>  water?  Will  the ones you have last forever?

When disetronic first came out,, it was waterproof without the red tappet.
Then there were some cases where there was a pressure problem in airplanes,
and a few people got VERY low while in flight from their pump giving then
WAY too much insulin. To solve this problem they added some air holes in
the cap...these allow the pressure to equalize. To make it completely
waterproof, you put a red plastic thing into the two small holes in the
cap. The only time I ever remove my red tappet is when I fly (so the holes
are open to equalize pressure).  I have had disetronic for 6 years and
haven't ever replaced my tappets (alhtough i think the recommendation is to
replace them every 6 months). Since I VERY rarely take them in and out,
they haven't gotten worn out at all and still snap in tightly.

Also, the pressure holes only lead to the cartridge...if you do not use a
tappet, a small amount of water can get in with the cartridge, but that
chamber is SEPARATE from the electronics of the pump. So even if you wear
the pump in the water without the tappet, the electronic part is still
protected...just the cartridge will be wet when you take it out.  (this is
what I was told way back when I started on the pump when I asked about
losing the tappet).

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to go in the shower without a red tappet,
but I don't know that I'd go swimming/underwater wihtout it - just on the
chance that if a lot of water got in the cartridge area it might build up
pressure and push some insulin out....but this is pure conjecture on my
- Betsy...sounds like there needs to be a black market for red tappets for
people who were unlucky enough to buy their disetronics AFTER the tappets
were discontinued.
Betsy, age 34, Type 1 27 years, Disetronic 6 yrs, on third pregnancy with
pump and due in June.