more on pregnancy and diabetes Re: [IP] Betsy Polley's Profile

--On Monday, March 19, 2001 1:36 PM -0600 Sherry Compton
<email @ redacted> wrote:r
> Please tell me anything you can share about how the pump worked out for
> you while you were in the hospital and how your levels were effected by
> the pregnancy and right after delivery.  I'm curious to see how your
> basals reacted right after your babies were born. You can respond to me

Sherry -
I don't think I ever really got around to answering these specific
During pregnancy I found that my basals stayed the same until about halfway
through and then suddenly jumped up so that my basals were about twice
normal, as well as my CHO  boluses. Somewhere around 30 weeks prergnant I
was up to about three times normal basals and boluses.  It is always very
weird for me to give myself like 12 units for lunch (60 grams CHO), when
non pregnant it would only take me 4 units to cover it. I find it realy
hard psychologically to accept that it takes that much insulin.  During
labor and delivery my basals went down to around pre-pregnant basals, and I
found that postpartum I pretty immediately went back to my normal
pre-pregnant basals. This is different from what my doctors expected though
- apparently it's typical to need very little or even no insulin during L&D
and early postpartum.

Also I nursed both kids - my 1st until she was a year and my 2nd until she
was 18 months (finally got her weaned last month!). I did not find that I
had to lower my basals or eat when I nursed.

My typical non-preg basals are: 0.3 u/hr from about 9pm to 6am.  0.7 early
morning  0.4 or 0.5 during the afternoon, early evening.  By the end of
pregnancy I am up fto about 1.0 - 1.3 units/hr most of the day and night,
and 2 - 2.5 units an hour in the mornings.
My CHO bolus is usually 1 unit for 15 grams. By the end of pregnancy I am
generally around 1 unit per 5 grams. My correction factor is generally 1
unit brings me down 65 mg/dl.  During pregnancy it's more like 1 unit for
30 mg/dl.
 No wonder people get gestational diabetes - the amount of insulin
rersistance is amazing.

Finally to those out there considering getting pregnant. My personal
feeling about pregnancy during diabetes is that diabetes really shouldn't
hinder anyone from getting pregnant any more. I really thought that Steel
magnolias movie did a big disservice to diabetics.
Diabetes does affect your pregnancy -  you kind of have to expect that it
will be classed a high-risk pregnancy, that you will be doing lOTS of blood
tests (I am often testing every two hours - day and night, esp first
trimester), you will spend lots mre time in doctor's offices than most
pregnant women, and your labor and delivery is not going to be at home/in a
non-hospital birthing suite, and that you are probably going to have
internal monitors, ivs, etc during your labor. So many women try to avoid
iv's and be completely natural these days, but I can't see that being
possible for diabetics. (However, even though both mine were induced and I
had lots of ivs lines and monitors and medical contraptions around me - I
did NOT need pain meds, so I still consider them "natural births" :-)

When I was diagnosed in 1974 (prior to the advent of home glucose monitors
- we just did urine tests back then and pork insulin was the primo "pure"
insulin, and I wasn't aware of anybody taking more than 2 shots a day!) I
was definitely told not to expect to have children. Amazing how things have