Re: [IP] Pregnancy and Pumpers

I have 3 small children.  I was on MDI for the first two and on a MM506 for my third.  I became massively insulin resistant when pregnant.  For all three pregnancies I was taking betwenn 580-600 units of regular every single day.  Whenever I had to be hospitalized the nurses were terrified to give me an insulin shot for 120u (had to be 2 shots), they thought they would kill me :)  My 3rd pregnancy I was on the pump and MDI, because of how much insulin I was using.  I changed batteries constantly!  My 1st child was induced at 36.5 weeks, after 36hrs of labor, finally a c-section, she weight 7lbs6ozs, with a low sugar.  My 2nd was a c-section at 35weeks, she was 7lbs15 1/2ozs, a little sick but did fine after day 1.  My third was c-sectioned at 34weeks and he weighed 9lbs5ozs!  He was sick with breathing problems, but no ventilator.  He had pneumonia also.  He would have weighed over 12lbs easily if I would have carried him the rest of the 6weeks.  My pregnancies were hard, but !
well worth the effort.  I spent the whole last trimester in hospital with my 1st.  The next two I was in and out several times.  I know that if I can make it through 3 pregnancies with complications (not just from diabetes) I think virtually everyone can.  You just need to have a strong commitment and alot of emotional support and of course good competent Dr.'s.  Gosh, I still want 2 more but dear ole hubby is not emotionally up to it.  Remember just about anything is possible and treatment for this disease will only get better.  Take care.
Geneece
dx'd 87
pump 7/00

On Mon, 19 March 2001, email @ redacted wrote:

> I am interested in reading about the pregnancies and babies of all you out
> there.  So don't think we are bored reading about it!

When Claire was diagnosed at age 2 the only thing that