Re: [IP] waterproofness of the disetronic

>My profile just posted, so I hope it is okay to jump in with a post
>already. I sought out this mailing list because today I just got the letter
>from Disetronic saying they can no longer recommend wearing the pump in the
>water because some people have had water leak into their pump through
>cracks in the casing, and somehow the water interfered with the electronics
>and caused over-delivery of insulin. Sounded like some people had some
>serious lows as a result.

>How dangerous do people think it is to keep using the pump in the water,
>and does anybody have any more detail on the cases of hypoglycemia that
>spurred on this new recommendation not to use disetronics in the water.
>Betsy Polley
>email @ redacted

I for one plan on using my D in water and with extensive exposure to
kneeboarding, SEaDooing and hopefully a few high spped spills and ocean
tours this summer.

>From what I read, the problems Disetronic warns about are more of a
liability issue.  The only way to protect themselves from this very rare
occurance is to send out such a warning.  I would not take it to heart but
I am going to make sure I closely inspect my pumps prior to water useage.

The probelems are stress cracks in two very certain areas apparently caused
by tightening the battery caps too tight.  (Same thing happens to your car
wheel studs if you over-tourque them and then you crash and burn)!  Ther
are some reports of D pumps experiencing these cracks when the user has no
memory of over-tightening the battery caps however.

As far as failures of this nature, it was posted here a few days ago that
the stat is 20 crack failures out of 100,000 pumps so far.  This = 2/1000th
chance if there is *no* connection between over-touquing your battery caps
and pump failure.  Better stats than our NS highways for auto-related

As always with pumps, tubing, insulin sites etc: inspect, inspect, inspect!

YMMV and use your own judgement -this is just my personal bias.

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 4 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/ mailing list.

To date:   57% improvement in average bg's & 60% fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  First post-pump HeA1C = 5.1  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).