Re: [IP] re:pregnancy and pumping

--On Monday, March 19, 2001 9:26 PM -0500 "Jennifer C. Haugland"
<email @ redacted> wrote:r

>	 Is pre-eclampsia more common in diabetics?

Yes.  I was told that the three main risk factors for pre-eclampsia are
diabetes, pre-existing high blood pressure, and being a first pregnancy
(it's less common in subsequent pregnancies).

I am normal weight and usually have very normal blood pressure (in the
range of 110 over 70). In my first two pregnancies, despite good control on
the pump (HbA1c's were at around 6.5 to 7 throughout) my blood pressure
went up around 30 weeks pregnant. The other two signs of pre-eclampsia are
spilling protein in your urine, and edema (swelling).  I had not been
warned that pre-eclampsia was more common in diabetics. As long as it is
caught early it is not terribly dangerous, although if your blood pressure
continues to rise despite bedrest/hospitalization, they may have to induce
you early since it's dangerous for both the mother and the baby. I remember
with my first, who was induced 6 weeks early ( after a week on hospital
bedrest), I asked if they shouldn't test for lung maturity before they
induced me...I was told that whether or not the baby's lungs were mature,
she and I would both be better off to get her out of there. She did have
respiratory distress from being so early and was in NICU for a week and a
half, but was absolutely fine within a few weeks of being born.

However, when considering getting pregnant with diabetes, the possibility
of pre-eclampsia did not cause me any hesitation.  To be honest, I was much
more concerned about the possibility of birth defects, but at least I felt
I had some control over that because the risk is reduced to nearly normal
with good diabetes control prior to conception.

Betsy Polley (type 1 27 yrs, pumper 6 yrs, on my third pregnancy with a
pump and due in June)