pregnant pumping Re: [IP] Betsy Polley's Profile

--On Monday, March 19, 2001 1:36 PM -0600 Sherry Compton
<email @ redacted> wrote:r
> induce labor or schedule a c-section closer to the first of May.  Did you
> wear your pump throughout the labor?  Did the birthing center docs try to
> take it away or seem afraid of it? Were your babies large? (At barely 29
> wks mine seemed to weigh over 4lbs according to my last ultrasound.)  Did
> you have to go be checked every week or even twice a week your last month?

Hi! Glad there are other pregnant pumpers here!
First, I delivered at a tertiary care women's hospital where they were
pretty familiar with pumps, so I did not get any negativity from the
doctors or staff there. Also, my diabetes doctor and OB wrote my orders
that I could handle all my diabetes care myself...from diet, to insulin
doses, etc. So they didn't even have the dietitian go over my menu choices
or anything. They did make me report my insulin doses and BG, but they let
me make those decisions. I would urge your doctor to make sure your orders
are written so that you can handle all that.

As far as delivery, with my first, I had pre-eclampsia and was induced 6
wks early. Being my first I didn't know what to expect and when they asked
if I wanted to keep my pump on, I said, no, I'd rather let someone else
worrry about my diabetes while I was focused on the labor and delivery.
Also I had so many iv lines in I figured it was just as easy for them to
put the insulin in through a line.  I regret taking my pump out - I'm so
used to correcting a BG immediately.. and I didn't like having to wait for
them to react after I would test and need a correction, and I wasn't happy
with the corrections I made...after all this time I just can't trust my
diabetes to anybody else! They also let my blood sugar get very high. They
assumed I would need less insulin during the delivery/postpartum and cut me
too far back.

My second delivery I kept my pump in and it was MUCH MUCH better. I did
find that my BGs were dropping during labor, but not too fast. I just cut
back my boluses a little.  I was told that most women need little to no
insulin during labor and postpartum....that was NOT true for me and I had a
lot of problems with high bgs those first few days until I straightened it
all out.  I did nurse both babies, although they were both in NICU - baby 1
for a week and a half, baby 2 for 2 days.  Baby 1 had a few problems
related to being so premature, and she also had low blood sugar. Baby 2
only had low blood sugar, and was out of the NICU within 2 days.

Baby 1 was 6 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs, 14 oz, which is big for being
that early.
Baby 2 was 4 weeks early and weighed 6 lbs 8 oz, also big for that early -
I think about 75th percentile for both of them.

Both my babies were induced early because I got pre-eclampsia, but my OB
does induce diabetics usually about 2 weeks early.  Also I started on
weekly non-stress tests at 28 weeks, and weekly ultrasounds started at 34
I think this is enough for now! I look forward to hearing more about
pregnancy and pumping.
Oh, and I have always found that pump tape does not stick very well in the
last trimester - it's like the skin is stretched too tight to hold the tape
or something. I end up changing my pump site daily in the last trimester -
I thought that was a PAIN.
- betsy

Betsy Polley