[IP] waterproofness of the disetronic

My profile just posted, so I hope it is okay to jump in with a post
already. I sought out this mailing list because today I just got the letter
from Disetronic saying they can no longer recommend wearing the pump in the
water because some people have had water leak into their pump through
cracks in the casing, and somehow the water interfered with the electronics
and caused over-delivery of insulin. Sounded like some people had some
serious lows as a result.

I'm interested in hearing whether people plan to stop wearing their
disetronics in the water. I have been wearing a disetronic for 6 years now
and even though I use the Tender sets that you can disconnect, I've always
showered without disconnecting the pump - I find it much easier that trying
to keep track of the little caps you have to put on when you disconnect,
especially with toddlers around the house.  I really don't want to start
disconnecting it every time I take a shower.

That said, every time I've sent my pumps in for inspection (every two years
with disetronics) they found cracks in the casing and had to replace my
pump. The cracks were not noticeable and I never knew they were there.
However, even though I had cracks I never had problems with malfunctions.
The disetronic letter said when they intentionally cracked the casings and
submerged them in water, they weren't able to replicate the overdelivery
problem - they always got an electronic alarm and the pump automatically
went into stop mode.

How dangerous do people think it is to keep using the pump in the water,
and does anybody have any more detail on the cases of hypoglycemia that
spurred on this new recommendation not to use disetronics in the water.
Betsy Polley