Re: [IP] hight Blood sugar and execise

In a message dated 3/17/2001 4:28:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I was always told that over 250 you shouldn't exercise and never with
ketones.  I can tell you however that last night my sugar was 315 and I
exercised and it brought it down to 199.  That was my experience yesterday
anyway. >>

It can work, but only if you have enough insulin on board to make it work.
The problem for me is, if I have enough insulin on board I may well bottom
out and rebound to end up right back where I started.

Nevertheless, sometimes I do it anyway.  There are just times when the
benefits of activity outweigh the risks.  If I was 315 and wanted to exercise
I'd bolus about twice as much as usual and eat a 15 gm. snack.  With luck,
I'd see my bg drop to about 200 -- not dramatic enough to bounce me back, but
enough to make sure everything was working.

I know there are people here who can explain the physiology of this far
better than I can.