Re: [IP] FAA

I don't yet have personal experience with this, but because flying
professionally has always been my lifelong dream I have followed the FAA's
position closely since my diagnosis at age 13. Up until a couple of years ago
it was not possible for a type 1 diabetic to obtain the medical certificate
necessary to hold a pilot's license, however I have heard that it is now
possible due to the success with a trial they ran with air traffic controllers
several years ago. The only problem is that even if you are able to prove to
the FAA that you are in tight control of your diabetes, you cannot obtain
anything higher than a third-class medical certificate. Therefore commercial
aspirations are out of the question. Below is a link to the FAA's web page
that explains the requirements for obtaining a special-issuance if you're
interested. Good luck!

Todd Merkle
assimilated Sept 98, diag. 3/81