Re: [IP] is it an operation?

In a message dated 3/16/2001 1:37:13 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< when starting on the pump is it an operation or is it just  like putting
an iv?
i know when they switched my insulin to different doses and different times (
i still take the needle) i had to go to the hospital for a stay, is that what
happens? >>

Neither. You do not have an operation, nor is it like an IV (since the
plastic cannula is subcutaneous). Depending on the doctor you work with,
there could be a hospital stay, but that would be unusual. Usually the pump
trainer comes out to show you how to insert the cannula and how to work the
pump. The cannula has an introducing needle that gets taken out after
insertion. It's no big deal once you get the hang of it!

I'm just on the pump a week and a half and I've had great results all day,
but at night and in the am 1st thing I've been running high. I'm on .9 during
the day and 1.4 from midnight to 7am. For other folks with the dawn
phenomenon how much do you go up during the night/early am to have a normal
bg in the am?

Thanks much for any help.

dx 1975