[IP] Re: Message from land of babyhood

Congratulations Maureen,
    I'm sure baby Gillian is just lovely.  Most babies don't sleep well, my
first didn't sleep through the night till he was 7 years old!!   I'm glad
that I didn't know that at the time.
    Re: yeast infections.  Little Gillian probably also has thrush in her
mouth.  But it doesn't have to be so, she may not show any signs of it.
Thrush can be quite persistent and will be transmitted back and forth between
you and her as you feed her.   One thing I used to treat this condition was
Gentian Violet.  Its an old remedy, I believe the lactation consultant told
me about it.  It is a very dark, purple liquid and you can just paint a bit
of it (using a cotton puff) onto your nipples.  That way the baby gets
treated at the same time.  My little guy's thrush took ages to clear up (his
lips were purple in photographs for ages), though I don't remember having my
nipples infected, but maybe I just can't remember.
    Gentian Violet is available for purchase from pharmacies and is very
cheap.  You can ask a lactation consultant for advice, its unlikely that
doctors would know about it.  They will more likely give Nystatin of some
sort to paint in the baby's mouth--I found that quite useless.   What is the
medication they have you on for it?  Is it some sort of anti-fungal??
I would really try the traditional remedy first.
Best Wishes,

Barbara, Mum of Claire 6, hoping to be pumping soon