[IP] Re: low carb (how much to bolus)

Regarding how much to bolus for protein, on p 233
(of my book, I imagine yours is the same), Bernstein
does discuss it briefly.  He says 1u Regular typically
covers 1.5 oz protein.  For me (YMMV), 1u of Humalog
tends to cover 2-3oz of protein, depending on what type
it is.  For me, fish requires the least, then chicken,
turkey, pork and beef. For example, I can cover fish
with 1u H to 4oz.  Beef however requires the most for me,
with 1u H covering about 1.5 or 2oz depending on how
fatty it is.  He suggests underestimating your boluses at
first, then recording your observations and adjusting
up and down as necessary.  Fat doesn't really extra
insulin, it just can slow down the digestion of your
other food.

Bryan Rapp
Type 1 (DX'd 8/92)