[IP] Re: message from land of babyhood

Hey all,

Here's my first chance to write since having baby Gillian almost 4 weeks
ago. Man, am I tired. Do babies ever sleep at a decent time? Actually, I
paid all my bills this afternoon and now am just looking at a huge pile
of thank you notes to write...so I'm writing this instead. I'm dealing
with yeast infections on my breast (ow). Anyone else familiar with this?
I'm starting my second dose, higher, of Diflucan today. Hopefully, this
will take care of it.

I promised funny stories of OB nurses unfamiliar with pumps while I was
in the hospital. Upon checking in, I stressed that I was in control and
would test my own blood sugars. The nurses were fine with this, and told
me just to tell them the blood sugars, and they would bring me OJ when
low. Also, other snacks were available. One nurse complained about a
diabetic who "just kept taking more insulin when she wanted to eat" and
she hoped I wouldn't do that. Hmmm, what's the benefit of a pump then? I
was low a lot due to energy exerted during contractions. One day I was
around 60, asked for juice, got it, then was 60 about 30 minutes later.
This time, the nurses thought I was lying, and asked me twice what my
blood sugar was, then asked my mom (I am 30 years old!). When the nurse
brought the OJ, she said in a nasty voice "I guess you like orange juice
a lot, huh?" Another time, I was low and the nurse wanted me to eat
crackers with juice. I explained that on the pump there is no NPH, and
only juice was needed. When I was low an hour later, she insisted I eat
the crackers. I did, and surprise, went high, prompting her to call the
endo, and give me a lecture on overeating! She also kept asking why I
skipped my nighttime snack, after I kept explaining I didn't need one.
Another older nurse seemed befuddled by the pump and kept telling me the
best place to hide it was in my bra--that way, no one would see it.
Finally, the day after the C-section I started vomiting. I realized I was
probably spilling ketones, as I hadn't eaten in about 40 hours. I asked
the nurse to test for ketones, and she said that according to new OSHA
standards, they couldn't (!). Then, she told me I wasn't suffering from
ketones, and refused to contact my endo. The next day, she told me that
she and my endo had decided I was suffering from ketones.

So glad to know, 20 years after diagnosis, that some things never change.
Thought y'all would enjoy my stories. And I considered this a GOOD visit
to the hospital--at least no one tried to take my pump from me.

Maureen M.