Re: [IP] Re: just a quick question

In a message dated 3/15/2001 12:56:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< I further suggest that healthy adolescence requires a period when kids feel
 their parents have become nearly unbearable so that they will be emotionally
 able to leave and continue their growth to adulthood.   >>

That makes a lot of sense, Jim.  One thing I've learned though, in parenting
a teenager as in most other things, is that progress isn't really linear.  In
the case of recover after surgery, this is a disadvantage.  In the case of a
teenager trying to leave home, it means there are moments they find you
unbearable and then moments they want to feel as close as they did when they
were small.  There's a book about parenting teenagers called, "I'm leaving
home, but first could you drive me and Cheryl to the mall."  I think that
says it all.