[IP] Diabetes Camps - Recommendation

There has been some general comments about diabetic summer camps. I want to
pass on my evaluation/recommendation.

Tennessee Camp for Diabetic Children (TCDC) - Located at the Double G Ranch
on Lake Chickamauga in Soddy, Tennessee (just north of Chattanooga) - 2001
camp dates: July 15-28, 2001 - Web Site: http://www.tcdc.net

As a kid I attend TCDC (5 or 6 years as and camper and 4 or 5 as a cabin
counselor). This was a wonderful experience  that I still fondly remember
today. All of the usual camp activities (swimming, sports, archery, crafts,
riffles, canoeing, etc) were there in full measure and also there was a very
strong sense of comradery and belonging. Additionally - though I did not
recognize it at the time - the shared experience with 100 other diabetics
exposes you to more real life treatment methods, options, experiences and
situations then you can get any other way.

In regards to the concern that some parents have expressed concerning
safety - I understand the worry but it is completely unfounded. A kid will
never spend time around as many skilled, knowledgeable, experienced and
concerned diabetic "experts" than they will at camp.

I highly recommend the camp experience in general and TCDC specifically.