Re: [IP] For parents -- caution -- it's long. :-)

Thank you for telling this story.

I think that many of us who have diabetes walk a
fine line between craving independence and craving
support. Despite the fact that I was diagnosed as
a "mature adult," I've often wanted to do exactly
what Amy did -- and because there's nobody looking
out for me the way you're looking out for your
daughter, I could "get away with it" for an awfully
long time before anyone noticed. Thank you for re-
minding me that I don't have to do this on my own --
that I don't have to hide my weaknesses -- that it's
okay to ask for help from my friends and family.

After I read your post, I had a little talk with my
husband. I told him that from now on I was planning
to tell him a lot more specific information about my
blood sugars, and I asked him to ask me from time to
time about how my blood sugars are doing. In the past,
I've snapped at him for doing this, so I told him that
if I got crabby when he asked me about my blood sugars,
he could remind me that I'd told him to do it. Anyway,
this is my step toward creating more of a safety net
for myself.

I'm feeling quite raw at the moment because two
friends of mine died his weekend. One was a vigorous
woman in her 60's who died of cancer after years of
surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. The other was
a 25-year-old woman who died after a freak asthma-
allergy attack that caused seizures, cardiac arrest,
massive brain damage, and a week-long coma. Neither
of these friends was ready to die. And I was certainly
not ready for either of them to die.

/Janet L.
Pumping with Castor&Pollux since 11/00