[IP] re: praise to parents

In a message dated 3/10/01 12:10:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Kim,
> Thank you. I can tell you from experience that even the doctors in the
> emergency room and the main hospital are virtually clueless when it comes
> this disease in children. All I hear is that she needs to eat better and
> take
> her shots. Even though she does do both, she still goes into DKA. In fact
> now
> its like a cycle and her body knows no different, then to be ill all the
> time. We are looking into a psychologist to work with her. Our Endo
> believes
> that even though you cannot will yourself to be ill, that you can
> subconsciously do it. Natalee's body and mind thinks that it is normal to
> be
> ill and so it continues. I have argued the point that they have clinic for
> drug and alcohol problems but no clinics to send these kids to where they
> can
> be monitored and to be made to feel well so they can see what difference it
> makes. So far I have kept her out of the hospital these last few days but
> I,
> myself, can see it coming in the way she looks, the way she breathes and
> the
> ketones in her urine. We are so used to the high blood sugars that they
> tend
> to not alarm me as much. Though I know they are of concern, I can counter
> act
> them when needed. Natalee got diabetes as she was starting puberty, so I
> wish
> you luck as to not having to deal with all of these matters.
> Crystal

  Believe me I know how clueless doctors & nurses can be in the emergency
room.  We went through our own little hell when Ashley was in a coma.  If you
are interested in reading her story  <A HREF="http://www.elviradarknight.com/diabetes/index.html">Discussing Ashley's Diabetes</A> .  For the
most part there are great Doctors & Nurses out there but, certainly not all.
  Luckily Ashley was young when she became a diabetic. I say luckily because
I think it easier for a diabetic if they can't really remember what it was
like before.  Besides that you can really train a younger child on how to eat
& it becomes part of their life.  I have seen several newly diagnosed
teenagers & the problems they face.  It just seems so much harder for them &
their parents.  I do know we will probably face alot of problems when Ashley
becomes a teenager because it is just hard enough being a teenager but,
probably so much harder to be a teenager with diabetes.
  I also wanted to tell you that  I have a diabetes website with diet
exchanges for anyone who is interested at  <A HREF="http://www.elviradarknight.com/diabetes/info.html">Ashley's Diabetes Information</A> .  I
should tell you I am a web designer so I am designing sites for everything
all the time.  But, the best sites I have made are the diabetes sites.
  Don't we have councelors for young diabetics?  It seems like their should
be.  Especially as hard as it is on a newly diagnosed person & their family.