Re: [IP] Periph Neuropathy in Arms and Not Legs...anybody?

*Just a quick note...after I wrote this I thought...Geez, do you always have
to tell such long stories?? But then I remembered...my sister calls me the
NEVER ENDING STORY!! So, just to let you know, if you see my name on an
email...chances are, it's kinda long!! :o)~ Sorry, I'll try to cut them down.

    Let's hear it for Neurontin!!!!!!!!! I take it every day and quite a bit
too... 1200 mg, however, I've heard of people taking more. Now, even though I
take that, I still have to take pain killers!!! :o(
     When I was first diagnosed with the neuropathy, my doctor had to
hospitalize me because they didn't know exactly what was wrong. You see, I
had only had diabetes for 6 years at that point and was only 17 years old, so
NO ONE thought of that. Anyhow, to make a very long story short, while I was
in the hospital, I met another diabetic, a nice gentleman in his mid 50's, he
was there for diabetic reeducation and was telling me about the neuropathy he
had in his hands.(Only) So, we were trading stories about how the neuropathy
was affecting us. He in his hands and me in my legs. We both weren't sure
where, if we had to pick, would rather have it more?! In your hands where you
use them all the time, even when you're sitting down, or in your legs where
it messes up the way you walk or even threatens to not allow you to walk at
all if it gets bad enough. Neither of us could answer that.
It's not easy being diabetic, as everyone knows, having to practically be
doctors ourselves half the time and doing all the shots or doing all the
things you need to do with the pump... (Can you tell I'm not a pump user
yet... I don't know the lingo) , eating the right foods, checking blood
sugars, trying to keep our sugars at a level where we can keep these
complications at bay, but what makes it worse for us all is that we have to
put up with everyone around us saying things to you about what you eat (Like
my Grandmother who thinks I can eat nothing, even though I've showed her all
my books) or (Like my mother) people saying, "Did you do your shot, check
your blood lately, eating right??" All I hear anymore is "Blah Blah
Blah"...Geez, why can't people just SHUT UP sometimes? I mean, my Mom smokes,
I don't walk around telling her EVERY time she picks up a cigarette that,
"Hey, should you be doing that? Don't you know that's bad for you? You're
giving everyone else around you black lungs!!!" I think she'd swat me!!
    Anyhow, sorry to go off on a tangent but to get back to your original
question... Yes, I have heard of someone who only got the neuropathy in his
Sorry for the rant....
Take care,

dx 10/1/81  (Florida)
Awaiting the arrival of my new pump, "Skippy"
Soon, very soon!!!!