Re: [IP] Praise for parents of diabetics

In a message dated 3/9/01 12:41:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Shannon,
> Thank you for the support. Yes, as a parent of a diabetic and not having
> it,
> makes life a bit frustrated. I care for my child in all ways possible, but
> when I have to sit back and watch her make unwise decisions, that is when
> it
> becomes the hardest to take. Even though we try our best to set good
> example
> for our children, sometimes that is not enough. I realize that being a
> teenager is hard enough, but one who has a "difference" in their lives to
> contend with, only makes it harder. Sometimes I feel that if I could just
> step into her shoes for one day, maybe all this would be easier to
> understand. But beings though I cannot, I have to take one day at a time
> and
> learn how to approach the subject in a way that she will grasp.
> Thank you again,
> Crystal

Hi Crystal,
  I have been following this thread.  Although I think I came in the middle
of the conversation.  I am unsure how old your daughter is & how long she has
had diabetes.  I was wondering if you have made her go through a diabetes
education course?  This summer I will have Ashley take one & no she will not
have a choice in it.  I want to make sure she has all the information
available to her.  I was going to have her do it last summer but, thought I
would wait one more year.  I want her to be old enough to understand what is
being taught to her.  I will go through the course with her. I have already
taken it & it helped me so much.  I am sure I will enjoy it again & it will
be fun for us to do this together.